Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Containing the opposite


As part of my day job, I write programs that provide "services" to other programs. These "service" programs don't interact directly with any user, so they run in what I still call a DOS window, though I guess the official term now is command window. Anyway, when these programs start up, the command window opens; the service displays its name, version, and build date; and then it prints this line:
Press Enter to Exit...
It strikes me as almost Zen-like that to exit, one must enter. Though perhaps the opposite relationship would be more Zen-like: Exit to Enter.

Software and meditation don't often go hand-in-hand, so I'll take this opportunity while I have it.

Labels: ,


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?