Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ratatouille


Judi and I watched Ratatouille last night, for the first time. If you are one of the, say, ten Americans who hasn't already seen this movie, don't worry, I don't have any spoilers. I just wanted to record a few obsevations.

I had seen the trailer for Ratatouille when I saw the Nancy Drew movie in the theater, and I expected to enjoy it. I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed it very much. But, more than that, I was astonished by it. My idea of animated movies has been shaped by features like The Lion King. Which is to say, there's not much substance to them. Ratatouille is a movie that will delight children, but I was amazed by the depth and subject matter of the story. You could sit and watch this movie with children -- or even your peers -- and just have a good time. And you could just as easily sit and watch this movie with children -- or even your peers -- and follow it up with a lively discussion of bigotry, of inclusion and exclusion, of loyalty, of friendship, of honesty, of the importance of finding and accepting your role in life, and especially of the importance of judging everyone by their words and particularly their deeds, and not by how they appear. Ratatouille isn't just another Lion King. You can turn it in your hands, like a cut gemstone, and each character, like a facet, will reflect a different light worth contemplating.

A few random observations:

Labels:


Comments:
Came here from LoriLoo's place...

And for us its so funny that we now have a three year old that can pronounce ratatouille. :)
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?