Friday, June 01, 2007

Welcome to hurricane season


Today is the first day of Hurricane Season -- though Mother Nature didn't get the memo: We've already had the first named storm of the year, Andrea. Anyway, last year I explained why I think the current system of naming storms is boring and repetitive, and proposed a new system that uses a fresh set of related and educational names each year. Last year I proposed the Season of Cheeses. This year, I propose a Season of Greek Gods, and offer this humble list for your consideration:
Athena (there are so many A's to choose from!), Bacchae, Charon, Dionysus, Erato (muse of love songs and erotic poetry -- Zeus only knows that this has to do with hurricanes, but I couldn't resist), Furies, Gaia, Hades, Io, Jason, Kerberos, Lethe, Medusa, Nemesis (great name for a hurricane!), Oceanus, Poseidon, Quiritis, Rhea, Styx (the river was named for this goddess of unbreakable oaths -- did you know that?), Typhon, Uranus, Vesta, Xanthos, Zeus
Four of the names -- Charon, Hades, Kerberos, and Styx -- have to do with the underworld, which I thought was fitting. I have not been able to find any Greek dieties that have names beginning with J, Q, V, W, or Y, so there's a mortal sitting in, Jason, and I borrowed Quiritis and Vesta from the Romans. No W or Y hurricanes this year.

Do you have an idea for next year's hurricane names? Please leave me a comment if you do. Thanks!

Labels:


Comments:
How about a celebrity news season, including those who are famous for doing pretty much nothing (Paris Hilton) and for taking up too much media time with their silly exploits (again, Paris Hilton springs to mind). My only problem is that I'm horribly out of date and can't remember who is who (largely because I don't care) so someone else would have to generate the list.

As an alternate, how about a year of animals? Hurricane Aardvark, Badger, Camel, etc. ;)
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?