Monday, February 26, 2007

Delightful!


While I was in California, I discovered a great series of childrens books about Walter the Farting Dog! They're cowritten by William Kotzwinkle and Glenn Murray. I bought Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble at the Yard Sale. The dedication is "For everyone who's ever felt misjudged or misunderstood," and these are the first two pages:
All the other tables at the big yard sale were crowded with customers.

"We haven't sold a thing," said Father. "Nobody even comes near us."

Walter farted. He was happy to be here even if nobody bought anything.

Betty and Billy were bored. "can [sic] we go get some ice cream?"

"Get one for me," said Father.

Betty said, "We'll get one for you too, Walter."

Walter farted happily.
Okay, that's all you get to read unless you find the book yourself, but isn't it off to a great start? Any story in which someone farts happily is my kind of story. And you can guess why no one is shopping at this particular table. The story just gets better: I will tell you that it includes a less-than-honorable Father, a criminally-inclined clown, and of course the resourceful (in a couple of different meanings of the word) Walter.

And lots of farts.

Also some great artwork -- highly detailed but also delightfully weirded by a touch of Dali-essence -- by Audrey Coleman.

Highbrow it's not. But then, if you only read highbrow stuff, well... you aren't reading this blog. Kids, including you, yes you, will love it.

It looks like there are a total of six Walter the Farting Dog books, plus a new one due out in June. I'm going to order the five I don't have from Amazon or Barnes and Noble (whoever's cheaper) today. I'm looking forward to one in particular, because it will be doubly near and dear to my heart: Walter the Farting Dog Goes on a Cruise!

Labels:


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?