Monday, June 19, 2006

Seen (and not seen)


Two obviously conservative Muslim women, wearing robes that extended to the floor, scarves over their heads and foreheads, and scarfs across their faces, leaving only slits so tiny that their eyes weren't even visible behind them, shopping in...

...Victoria's Secret.

I guess it shouldn't seem so incongruous. I guess even cloaked Muslim women need underwear, and I guess there's no reason why they shouldn't shop for it at Victoria's Secret, instead of being compelled to shop at, say, Walmart. But it seemed odd all the same. And it reminded me of a story I heard years ago. I don't know if it's true or not, but here it is:

In the 1960's, the King of Saudi Arabia, along with some of his ministers and advisors, was crossing the lobby of the U.N. Building in Manhattan. A class from a local high school was there on a civics visit. One girl turned to another and said, she thought quietly, "I wonder what they wear under those robes?" At which the King stopped, looked at her, and said,

"Young lady, BVD's."

Labels:


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?